This collaboration between Ulster University and Queen’s University seeks to build on the incredible success story that the creative industries have created for Northern Ireland, already contributing over £1billion GVA to the NI economy and employing around 26,000 people.
The Screen and Media Innovation Lab will provide physical infrastructure to support the rapidly expanding activity in creative industries in the region, supporting new creatively-led, technologically-driven R&D in key areas of Film and Broadcast, Animation, Immersive (VR/AR/MR) and Games Design and Development.
In addition, the initiative will build capacity in the regional creative industries workforce through delivery of bespoke programmes and, through engagement with communities, will be a driver for a social and cultural dividend.
The Screen and Media Innovation Lab:
- will be a bespoke £38million c5500m2 facility that drives industry-led research and the development of new products, services and experiences;
- will foster innovative creatively-led projects with commercial potential in Film and Broadcast, Animation, Immersive and Games Design and Development;
- will drive creative industries engagement with a wider range of industrial sectors including medtech, fintech, advanced manufacturing, hardware and software innovation;
- will provide facilities of a scale and quality which are not currently available or accessible to our key partners in Belfast and the wider region
The Screen and Media Innovation Lab will contain:
- flexible production spaces (black box, multicamera)
- immersive labs
- video and audio post production studios
- sound and lighting stages (green screen and multicamera)
- fabrication spaces (3D printing)
- incubation spaces
- multi-workstation lab spaces
The Screen and Media Lab concept has sparked engagement with the leading industry players in the region including the BBC and NI Screen as well as global companies including Dell, Amazon, Nvidia and HTC.
Establishing the Screen and Media Lab in Belfast will ensure we develop and sustain a position as global leaders in the creative industries.